- Attorney Resource Center
- Assisted Housing Preservation
- HUD Multifamily Housing Preservation
- RHS/RD Housing Preservation
- Basic Guides to Preservation Advocacy
- Public Housing
- Section 3 Program
- Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers
- Domestic Violence and Housing
- Foreclosure Crisis
- Language Access to Housing (LEP)
- Reasonable Accommodation for Persons w/ Disabilities
- Utility Allowances in Federally Assisted Housing
- Low Income Housing Tax Credit
- Resident Engagement
- Choice Neighborhoods Initiative
- Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD)
- Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing (AFFH)
- Assisted Housing Preservation
- Trainings & Webinars
- Housing Justice Network
- CA HBOR
- Help for Tenants, Homeowners, & Homeless
- Support NHLP
- About NHLP
Vol. 43, Issue 6
This July issue of the Housing Law Bulletin highlights a recent resurgence in litigation concerning residency preferences in housing voucher participant selection, a HUD notice clarifying the definition of assistance animals and a ground-breaking Conciliation Agreement between National Fair Housing Alliance and Wells Fargo. The issue also features a RHS notice on the Rural Development Voucher Program and a domestic violence survivor's challenge to a local nuisance ordinance.
Table of Contents
- Recent Developments in Challenges to Residency Preferences
- HUD Clarifies Definition of Assistance Animals Under FHA and Section 504
- HUD Approves Agreement with Wells Fargo Regarding Post-Foreclosure Properties
- Notice on Rural Development Voucher Program
- Domestic Violence Survivor Challenges Nuisiance Ordinances
- Recent Cases
- Recent Housing-Related Regulations and Notices
Only subscribers may access this bulletin.
For full, unlimited access to this and other bulletins, please subscribe today.
Selection criteria of public housing authorities play a crucial role for families applying for federal housing programs. This article examines a recent resurgence in litigation concerning residency preferences—a type of selection criteria used primarily by public housing authorities and localities in administering the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program (but which can also be used in...
On April 25, 2013, HUD issued a notice distinguishing the obligation of housing providers to accommodate people with disabilities who rely on assistance animals under the Fair Housing Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act. This article summarizes HUD’s rule, provides guidance on key differences in coverage for people with disabilities...
The National Fair Housing Alliance (NFHA) and Wells Fargo recently entered into a groundbreaking Conciliation Agreement (Agreement) to address the manner in which Wells Fargo has maintained its post-foreclosure properties, called Real Estate Owned or “REO” properties. The manner in which banks and lenders administer their REO properties is of particular concern for communities of color....
On June 18, 2013, the Rural Housing Service (RHS) published a notice in the Federal Register on the operation of its Rural Development Voucher Program (RDVP), which protects low-income residents in RHS rental housing from displacement and loss of subsidy when an owner prepays the RHS loan or RHS forecloses on the property. This article reviews the RHS Notice, including several provisions that...
Municipalities nationwide have enacted nuisance ordinances that impose sanctions on landlords based on the number of times police are called to respond to certain disturbances that occur on the landlords’ properties. Some of these ordinances explicitly exempt incidents of domestic violence, but a significant proportion specifically list domestic violence and sexual assault as a nuisance...
Summaries of July 2013 Housing Cases, Notices and Regulations